BC Museums Week 2019
BC Museums Week 2019
Join the BCMA and museums from around BC as we celebrate and highlight the work of our members, discuss important themes for the sector, and work together to build a stronger future.
BC Museums Week 2019 took place May 18-24.
What is BC Museums Week?
BC Museums Week is the annual celebration of museums, art galleries, historic sites, cultural centres, and other memory institutions in BC. The week is held annually in May, providing an opportunity for British Columbians to celebrate the vital role museums play in their communities, economy and education.
Each year, the BCMA creates a series of BC Museums Week activities and resources aimed at promoting and highlighting BC museums and their staff and volunteers. Cultural institutions in BC are encouraged to join the celebrations by engaging on social media or hosting their own special events.
In previous years, over 55 museums and other organizations in BC joined the BC Museums Week conversations on social media.
The BCMA creates a series of daily themes for use on social media during BC Museums Week. You can use these themes to plan special on-site events or programs, or you can choose your own themes for events or social media! Feel free to join us on Twitter and Facebook by following our suggested daily themes:
- Saturday, May 18 – International Museum Day: join the international conversation about “Museums as Cultural Hubs: The Future of Tradition” using #MuseumDay.
Learn more at: http://imd.icom.museum/
- Sunday, May 19 – BC Museums Week: promote what you have planned for the week and get people excited about BC Museums Week.
- Monday, May 20 – Your People: showcase your staff, volunteers, community members, or anyone else involved with your museum.
- Tuesday, May 21 – Hidden Stories: this is a great opportunity to show people what they don’t often see about your organization. Behind the scenes, sneak peeks, little known facts…
- Wednesday, May 22 – Your Community: celebrate and highlight how you contribute to and are involved in your broader community. How do you partner with your local heritage, education and community organizations? This is a great day to showcase how you serve diverse communities, and, in particular, your ongoing Indigenous Reconciliation efforts. The BCMA is also focusing on the theme of “International Year of Indigenous Languages” (a UN observance in 2019) to showcase the impact and importance of museums in B.C. communities. This day is a great opportunity to highlight collaboration between museums and First Nations to advance reconciliation initiatives and showcase Indigenous languages and culture.
- Thursday, May 23 – Our Connected Sector: celebrate Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (GLAM) by showcasing your connections with other GLAM organizations in your region or around the world.
- Friday, May 24 – Coming Soon: following BC Museums Week, what is coming soon in your organization? Highlight upcoming exhibits, events, programs, initiatives, or cool staff projects.