The BCMA is supported by a number of committees and working groups who help shape the Association’s programs, policies, and priorities.
If you are interested in joining a BCMA committee or working group or would like to know more about how they work, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the Advocacy Committee is to increase awareness and understanding of British Columbia’s cultural sector and advocate for stable funding.
- Lynn Saffery, Museum Manager, Museum of Surrey (Committee Co-Chair)
- Stephanie Halapija, Executive Director, Gulf of Georgia Cannery (Committee Co-Chair)
- Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, Rossland Museum and Discovery Centre
- Stephen Topfer, Collections Manager, Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- Michael Schwartz, Director of Community Engagement, Jewish Museum and Archives of BC
- Tracy Calogheros, CEO, The Exploration Place
- Nicole Berreth, Educational Programmer, Surrey Nature Centre
- Margaret Chrumka, Executive Director, Kamloops Art Gallery
- Daniel Gowryluk, Education and Outreach Coordinator, Assistant Curator, Pacific Museum of Earth
- Dauna Kennedy, Executive Director, Vernon Public Art Gallery
Read the Advocacy Committee’s Terms of Reference.
The purpose of the Executive Committee is to provide leadership and oversight to ensure that BCMA operates effectively and achieves its vision and goals (strategic directions).
- President: Catherine Ouellet-Martin, Senior Operations Manager, Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- Vice-President: Lynn Saffery, Museum Manager, Museum of Surrey
- Past President: Jodi Simkin, Director, Tribal Journeys 2021 Paddle to Tla’amin
- Treasurer: Brian Radburn, Vice-President Corporate Operations & CFO, Science World
- Secretary: Alyssa Leier, Curator, The Exploration Place
Financial Sustainability & Governance Committee
The purpose of the Financial Sustainability & Governance Committee is to review and update bylaws, policies and procedures related to governance of the organization. They also bring recommendations to Council for approval and provide oversight on matters relating to financial management, reporting, budgeting, and business planning.
- Brian Radburn, Vice-President Corporate Operations & CFO, Science World (Committee Chair)
- Lynn Saffery, Museum Manager, Museum of Surrey
- Catherine Ouellet-Martin, Senior Operations Manager, Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- Krista Isberg, Associate, Farris LLP
Read the Financial Sustainability Committee’s Terms of Reference.
Indigenous Advisory Committee
The BCMA’s Indigenous Advisory Committee exists to acknowledge injustices between museums and Indigenous communities and to actively work together to build stronger relationships and partnerships and to decolonize museological practices. To learn more about the Indigenous Advisory Committee, visit the BCMA’s Indigenous Culture & Heritage portal.
- c̓ris Jordan Coble, Councillor, Westbank First Nation (Committee Chair)
- Jodi Simkin, BCMA President and Director, Tribal Journeys 2021 Paddle to Tla’amin
- Chepximiya Siyam’ Chief Janice George, Artist, Cultural Consultant, and Hereditary Chief of the Squamish Nation
- Sdaahl Ḵ’awaas Lucy Bell, Repatriation Specialist
- Anthony Shelton, Director, Museum of Anthropology at UBC
- Jonathon Forbes, Project Manager, Animikii
- Ray Harris, Member of the Chemainus First Nation
- Joshua Seymour, Councillor, Lheidli T’enneh
- Drew Blaney, Cultural Activities and Information Manager, Tla’amin Nation
- Samaya Jardey, Director, Ta na wa Ns7éyx̱nitm ta Snew̓iyálh Language & Cultural Affairs, Squamish Nation
- Sharon M. Fortney, Curator of Indigenous Collections and Engagement, Museum of Vancouver
Professional Development & Education Committee
The purpose of the Professional Development & Education Committee is to identify and support professional training, peer networking, and educational opportunities for BCMA members.
- Jane Lemke, Curator, Burnaby Village Museum (Chair)
- Carolyn Holmes, Executive Director, Nanaimo Art Gallery
- Alyssa Leier, Curator, The Exploration Place
- Tania Muir, Program Director, Cultural Resource Management Program, University of Victoria
- Yukiko Stranger-Galey, Exhibits Manager, Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- Sherri Kajiwara, Director/Curator, Nikkei National Museum
- Lydia Williams
- McKaila Ferguson
- Heather A. Flynn
- Krystal Newcombe, Audience Engagement Manager, Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society
Read the Professional Development & Education Committee’s Terms of Reference.