BCMA Awards: Criteria and Nominations
BCMA recognizes a number of individuals and organizations each year for their service and excellence within the sector. To view the full award categories and descriptions, please click here. A sample of the nomination form is available here.
- Nominate an organization, exhibit, special project, or initiative for an Award of Merit!
- Nominate an individual who has made a special impact in the sector for the Distinguished Service Award!
- Nominate an individual or organization who has been a steward of the sector with the Museum Service & Stewardship Award!
The Nomination Period has ended. View this year’s nominees!
Who is eligible for an award?
The BCMA Awards recognize projects of excellence and innovative initiatives from museums, art galleries, cultural centres and other cultural heritage institutions across BC as well as recognize individual contributions to the sector. Nominees need not be members of the BCMA.
What do I need to submit for the nomination?
A sample nomination form is available for download to prepare your answers before submitting the online form: 2021 Nomination Form Sample
Nominations will include the following:
- Brief summary of the individual or organization being nominated (25 word maximum).
- Overview of the accomplishments of the nominee (400 word maximum)
- Description of the overall impact of your nominee’s activities on the sector, organization, or community. (400 word maximum)
- Highlights of how your nominee exemplifies one or more of the following values (400 word maximum):
- Community Involvement,
- Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion,
- Optional: Supporting photos or documents that demonstrate the impact or contribution of the nominee.
- Optional: 1-3 photos that can be used in features and programming
Who can nominate?
Anyone can submit a nomination for an award! You need not be a member of the BCMA.
Awards Committee members may also put forward nominations, in an effort to ensure that no deserving recipient is overlooked.
Can I nominate myself and/or my organization?
What is the adjudication process?
To make effective and consistent evaluations, the following general criteria will apply in evaluating Nominees:
Accomplishment: Nominees will be evaluated on an actual achievement, not on an untried idea or concept. Evaluation will be based upon the relative achievement that may normally be expected of the resources available to the nominee being considered. The qualifications or worthiness of a nominee will NOT be determined in any way by factors such as the size of a facility, institution, or agency; the number of employees or volunteers; budget; or the cost of a project or program.
Impact: Nominees will be evaluated on the impact their activities had on their communities, organization or the sector at large. Evaluation will be based upon the relative impact that may normally be expected of the resources available to the nominee being considered. The qualifications or worthiness of a nominee will NOT be determined in any way by factors such as the size of a facility, institution, or agency; the number of employees or volunteers; budget; or the cost of a project or program.
Values: Following a 2021 survey, BCMA has identified the following values to be of critical importance to our members. Nominees will be evaluated on how well these values are demonstrated in their activities:
- Community Involvement
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Who is on the Awards Committee this year?
Janice Alpine, Business Development Officer, Ktunaxa Nation Council
Tammy Bradford, Manager, Creston & District Museum and Archives
Alyssa Gerwing, Executive Director, Sidney Museum
David Jensen, President, D. Jensen & Associates Ltd.
Alyssa Leier, Curator, The Exploration Place Museum & Science Centre
kevin david meisner, Education Experience Designer, Britannia Mine Museum
Yukiko Stranger-Galey, Exhibits & Design Manager, Beaty Biodiversity Museum
Charlotte Stringam, General Manager, Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Centre
How are the nominees and award winners honoured?
All nominees will be celebrated, and award winners will be announced and presented with their awards, at the BCMA Awards Showcase event at BCMA’s annual conference in October 2021. Winners will receive an owl award and certificate. All nominees will be featured on the BCMA website and highlighted prior to the event.