Joe Nagel Technology Bursary
Supporting educational opportunities related to the innovative use of technology in the museum, gallery or heritage field for staff and volunteers working in BC museums and cultural institutions.
Details about the Bursary
Established by the BCMA in honour of Joe’s memory and to encourage the pursuit of excellence in technological advancement within the museum, gallery and heritage sector, the Joe Nagel Technology Bursary provides up to $1,000 for staff or volunteers of BC Museums Association’s Institutional Members, or Individual Members, to engage in an educational opportunity (course, seminar, workshop or conference) related to the innovative use of technology in the museum, gallery or heritage field.
Bursary applications are invited from current Individual Members or an Institutional Member of the BCMA on behalf of one or more employees. There is no restriction on the training provider, but the proposed training opportunity must be related to the use of technology in the sector.
Consideration will be given to both credit and non-credit educational opportunities. Eligible expenses include tuition or registration fees, travel, and textbooks.
Applications are evaluated on the basis of:
- the relative need of the institution or individual making the application;
- apparent suitability and proven commitment of the individual(s) nominated; and,
- apparent value for money of the training selected. Tuition and expenses for a credit course at a local college may be rated higher than an application for fees, travel, and accommodation for a three-day workshop in Vancouver, for example.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS 4:30pm (PST) MARCH 12, 2022. Bursary recipients will be announced on March 22, 2022.
Select Professional Development opportunities for inspiration:
- Online courses such as the following offered by LinkedIn Learning
- Online courses offered through Skillshare
- Adobe Digital Learning Services such as these certifications https://learning.adobe.com/certification.html
- Online courses such as these https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/professional-and-personal-growth
- Massive open online courses offered through Coursera (some of which are free but you can earn a certificate or sign up for a specialization for a fee) https://www.coursera.org/search?query=museum
Do you know of other professional development opportunities that we could share here? Or do you have questions about this bursary and the eligibility criteria? Email us at email@example.com.
About Joe Nagel
The late Joe Nagel was a former Director/Curator of the UBC Museum of Geology and an active member of the cultural community. As a consultant, Joe had clients from around the province, across Canada and around the world. He distinguished himself with his innovative application of new technologies.
Past Bursary Recipients
- Caroline Ballard, North Vancouver Museum and Archives, 2021
- Regan Shrumm, Two Rivers Gallery, 2021
- Emily Scott, Conservation Officer Service, 2021
- Alexander Code, PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives, 2021
- Marsha C. Stewart, South Peace Art Society, 2019
- Katie Hughes, University of Victoria, Legacy Art Galleries, 2019
- Gabriel Newman, Greater Vernon Museum & Archives, 2017
- Nicola Valley Museum Archives Association, 2010
- Ucluelet & Area Historical Society, 2008
- Contemporary Art Gallery in Nelson, 2007
- Protection Island Cultural Historical Society of Nanaimo, 2006
- MSA Museum, 2005